What is a sub-domain?
A sub-domain is basically a 'child' domain under a larger 'parent' domain that is designated by the prefix of the domain address. An example would be my domain is:
I can create a sub-domain of 'web' and the address would be:
Why should I setup a sub-domain?
Sub-domains are important as they allow you to point traffic requesting the sub-domain to a separate server for content (in this case WebLink Component Pages), while maintaining the content value under your overall domain. From an SEO (Search Engine Optimization) perspective this is important.
How do I setup a sub-domain on GoDaddy?
- Go to the DNS Management page.
- On the DNS Management page, at the bottom of the Records list, click Add and select CNAME from the Type drop-down menu.
- Complete the following fields:
- Host - Enter web
- Points to - Enter the host name provided by your On-boarding Specialist
- Select 600 for how long the server should cache the information from the second menu. This is called TTL (Time to Live).
- Click Save.
- The new sub-domain displays in the CNAME (Alias) section.
How do I setup a sub-domain on Network Solutions?
- Log in to your Network Solutions account
- Click Manage Account
- Click Edit DNS under My Domain Names
- Click Edit Advanced DNS Records next to the domain you want to use
- Click Edit CNAME Records in the Host Aliases (CNAME Records) section (you might have to scroll down)
- Alias - Enter web
- Select Other Host from the radio buttons
- Enter the host name provided by your On-boarding Specialist in the Other Host field
- Click Continue
- Click Save Changes